Google+

Wednesday, 4 January 2012

Lego Binary to decimal converter.

For when you need to convert not so fast!

I have just completed an experimental concept to make a calculating machine of sorts from Lego.
The aim was to get a mechanism that did as much of the working out as possible.
My First idea was to select the bits and push them up to reveal more blocks that, when counted would be the decimal equivalent to the byte made up with lego, however this still left working and I imagined that I could get more information out of the build.

Inspired by a very recent visit to the Science museum I thought I would try my hand at a more mechanical solution, so I came up with placing a band of thread around the answer blocks this in turn takes up the slack and slides the to point at the answer.

Here are some pictures.........

the bits are put on the sheet of lego and then slid up to push the answer out the other end, these in turn pull the thread to the answer on the rail to the right hand side.

and here is the video......




Happy new year, Hope there is more to come!

1 comment:

  1. This has made my day mate it's awesome. More please!

    ReplyDelete